It is one of the most pious and largest temples in Goa. This historic temple was built long back in around 1738 AD when Goa was under the rule of the Maratha king Shahu Raje. The presiding deity of this shrine is goddess Shantadurga who is a reincarnation of goddess Parvati. Goddess Shantadurga or Shanteri is considered as the deity of peace. The idol of Shantadurga is erected in the sanctum sanctorum of the temple in between the destroyer lord Shiva and the Preserver lord Vishnu.
The temple entrance is one of a kind as it takes visitors to a trance owing to the mellifluous notes that are played at the entrance. The dome that is built over the temple is very artistically carved and the detailed engravings on it depict the expertise of the artisans of the bygone era. Apart of the beauty of the temple the surroundings are also awe – inspiring. The lush greens and scenic beauty along with soothing atmosphere serve as perfect settings to this spiritual abode.